The American Railway Engineering and Maintainance-of-Way Association
AREMA Annual Conference in Conjunction with Railway Interchange 2011 - September 17-21, 2011 - Minneapolis, MN
Happy Hour at Legends from 4:45-6pm every other Friday (coinciding with Hay Seminars)
General meeting - April 20, 2011 – 5:00 PM in Hydrosystems Lab Room 1518
CPR/First Aid Certification Training Session - April 23, 2011
BNSF Willow Springs Container Yard, Chicago, Il - April 2, 2011
• Toured one of the busiest rail yards in North America
• Met with operations personnel and yard designer
Union Pacific Railroad Capital Project Field Visit - April 2, 2011 - Chicago, Il
• Toured construction site for the installation of new flyover bridge, bridge expansion, and significant earthwork
• Part of CREATE Project
Engineering Open House - March 11-12, 2011 - UIUC Campus, Urbana/Champaign, Il
• Exhibits Included:
• NS bridge engineering and maintenance display
• BNSF Display with High-Rail vehicle on site
• Dispatching demonstration by CN
• Intermodal and Dispatcher May I games
• Track components and tools display
Union Pacific Track Renewal Train (TRT) Field Trip - November 6, 2010 - Springfield, Il
• Toured and observed track replacement train on St. Louis to Chicago line as part of track upgrades necessary for the higher speed shared corridor
- August 29-31, 2010 – We attended the annual AREMA
professional conference, which was held this year in Orlando,
Florida. Eighteen students participated in committee meetings,
seminar sessions, and professional networking events.
- February 27, 2010 – BNSF and GE hosted a group of students
at their locomotive repair shop in Galesburg, Illinois. We had
the opportunity to get inside a couple of locomotives, as well
as learn about the repair process. Following the visit with GE,
we took a tour of BNSF’s hump yard operation.
- October 17, 2009 – Several AREMA SC members joined the
members of CEE 408 and CEE 409 on a workday to the Monticello
Railroad Museum in Monticello, IL.
- September 20-23, 2009 – Attended the annual AREMA Conference
in Chicago, Illinois. Nearly 40 students from our chapter were
in attendance, which sets the record to beat! We participated in
seminar sessions and the annual Meet the Next Generation event,
where we had the opportunity to network with many railroad
- August 31, 2009 - We participated in our first E-Night on the Bardeen Quad. This was the engineer's version of Quad Day, hosted by Engineering Council. We broke out the PPE again met many engineering students interested in the railroad industry. Thanks to EC for providing the pizza!
- August 23, 2009 - We participated in our first Quad Day at the U of I. Fully clad with the appropriate PPE, we met many new students and had a great time!
- April 17-19, 2009 - Several chapter members will be
traveling to Memphis, TN to visit two railroad capital expansion
projects being undertaken by CN and BNSF. This will be a great
opportunity to get out into the field to see real-life civil
engineering at its best. Don't forget to swing by Graceland on
- April 22, 2009 - 2nd General Meeting for Spring 2009 -
5-6pm. We'll hear updates from the Memphis trip and announce
plans for the Monticello Workday and our End of Semester Event.
Our committees will regroup and begin making plans for next
school year... It's time to start planning for Quad Day and the
Annual AREMA Conference on September 20-23, 2009.
- April 25, 2009 - Monticello Railway Museum Workday. Lace up your boots and roll up your sleeves for a fun day of good old fashioned track work. Typical of any hardworking railroader, we'll start up early in the morning. Be ready to leave Newmark Civil Engineering lab at 8:30am.
- March 13-14, 2009 - Participated in Engineering Open House
Railroad Extravaganza. Student members designed and built a
hands-on, interactive Intermodal Transportation game to teach
students (young and old) about how intermodal containers are
transported from sea to land within different transportation
modes. Our members contributed to helping the Department of CEE
win the Spirit of Illini Engineering Award ( http://eoh.ec.uiuc.edu/ ). Click HERE to see photos of the
- February 18, 2009 - 1st General Meeting for Spring 2009.
We formed committees as outlined in the document shown HERE and began work to plan
involvement in EOH, develop a fundraising plan, brainstorm field
trip ideas and social events, and begin developing an industry
- December 10, 2008 - END OF SEMESTER DINNER AT ZA'S (on Green
Street). This was a great opportunity to meet other AREMA
student chapter members, help brainstorm possible field trips /
speaker topics for 2009, meet the executive board, and enjoy
some pizza and pasta!
- November 24, 2008 - The AREMA Student Chapter visited Fort Madison , IA to watch rail grinding equipment on the BNSF Trans-Con. Click HEREto view pictures.